Skip to main content


General Information:

What is the MasterPlus Optics & Photonics Programme?

Three Dutch Universities, PhotonDelta and Optics Netherlands joined hands and developed a new MasterPlus Programme in Optics & Photonics as a specialization within one of the Masters. Discover specialized courses, unique internships within industry-leading companies, challenged-bases projects, guidance on valorization and spin-offs and a dynamic array of scientific and social engagements within the vibrant optics & photonics ecosystem. Join us in crafting your exceptional academic journey!

Who is behind the MasterPlus Programme?

The MasterPlus Programme is developed in collaboration with three Dutch universities Delft University of Technology, Eindhoven University of Technology and University of Twente, and industry clusters Optics Netherlands and PhotonDelta.

The Netherlands’ historical legacy in optics, dating back to the 13th century, seamlessly transitions into contemporary leadership in integrated photonics, with pioneers like Meint Smit and Ton Backx contributing to significant advancements. This leadership has catalysed extensive research and development at three prominent universities: University of Twente, Eindhoven University of Technology, and Delft University of Technology.

When does the Programme start, and is there a Master kick-off?

The master Programme and its courses for the academic year 2024-2025 at begins on September 2, 2024.

Prior to that, there is a Master Introduction Week from August 14 to August 18, and a Faculty Introduction Day in the week from August 26 to August 31. These activities provide incoming students with essential information about studying at the university, fostering connections with peers, and offering a glimpse into the student life in the respective cities.

Keep in mind that the dates for application are April 1st for Delft University of Technology and May 1st for Eindhoven University of Technology and University of Twente.

Which diploma will I receive?

You’ll be awarded a Master diploma aligned with your enrollment in the Applied Physics or Electrical Engineering Master, along with a certificate recognizing your participation in the MasterPlus Programme Optics & Photonics.

Is the course accredited? What academic level does the Programme correspond to?

All Bachelor’s and Master’s degree Programmes at Delft University of Technology, Eindhoven University of Technology and University of Twente are accredited by NVAO, The Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders (the northern state of Belgium). The NVAO assesses the internal quality assurance of universities and colleges and the quality of their Programmes.

The Master Programmes that offer the MasterPlus Optics & Photonics all lead to the degree and corresponding title Master of Science (MSc).

Application Process:

How to apply for the MasterPlus?

To apply for the MasterPlus in Optics & Photonics Programme, follow these steps:

  1. Choose a Master: Select a Master’s Programme offering MasterPlus Optics & Photonics, such as Applied Physics, Electrical Engineering, or Nanotechnology.
  2. General Admission Requirements: Ensure you meet academic knowledge, skills, and English proficiency criteria, along with specific subject-related requirements for your chosen Master Programme.
  3. Choose Your University: Pick Delft University of Technology, Eindhoven University of Technology, or University of Twente as your primary university.
  4. Check Admission Requirements: Review university- and Master-specific admission requirements for your selected programme.
  5. Application Deadline: Apply by April 1 (Delft) or May 1 (Eindhoven and Twente).
  6. Document Submission: Submit required documents in mid-June to prove you meet admission conditions and have graduated.
  7. Enrolment: Once conditions are met, you’ll be officially enrolled, gaining access to university systems and facilities.

What are the application deadlines for the MasterPlus Programme?

April 1st for Delft University of Technology.
May 1st for Eindhoven University of Technology and University of Twente

What are the admission requirements for the MasterPlus Programme?

To be eligible for the MasterPlus Programme, you need a bachelor’s degree from a research university in Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics, or an equivalent field. The admission committee evaluates your prior education to ensure it aligns with a bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university. Additionally, English proficiency is required.

It’s essential to note that the Dutch higher education system distinguishes between research-oriented and higher professional education. If your Bachelor’s degree is from a research university, you are directly eligible. However, if your degree is from a university of applied sciences or a non-similar field, you may need to undergo a pre-master or bridging Programme of 30 ECTS.

What is a pre-master Programme, and what are the associated costs?

Perhaps you need to take a pre-master’s first to prepare you for the master Programme of your choice. A pre-master is a transfer programme for Dutch higher professional education (‘HBO’ in Dutch) students or bachelor’s or master’s students of Dutch universities, intended to bridge the gap between your current bachelor’s and your future master’s. Once you have successfully completed the pre-master’s, you will be granted admission to the master’s.

Every master’s Programme has its own pre-master or bridging programme, which standard consists of 30 ECTS worth of courses and will take you 6 months to 1 year.

Depending on your current Bachelor or Master Programme, it may be necessary to follow a pre-master programme before starting a Master. You can read the admission requirements on the website of the university of your choice.

Can I apply if I don’t have a Bachelor’s degree (BSc) in optics, electronics, or applied physics?

If you possess a Bachelor’s degree in STEM from a research university, you might be eligible for the MasterPlus Programme after completing a pre-master or bridging programme. However, the criteria can differ between universities, so it’s essential to reach out to your preferred university for personalized guidance. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.

How do I prove my English language capabilities?

Proficiency in English is required. Applicants can demonstrate proficiency through TOEFL, IELTS, or Cambridge C1/C2. Exemptions apply to native English speakers or those who completed their university education in English.


University Test Type Overall Band Score Minimum Section Score Additional Notes
University of Twente IELTS (academic) 6.5 6.0 Online tests (IELTS Online, IELTS Indicator, IELTS One Skill Retake, IELTS General Training) are not accepted
TOEFL iBT 90 21 MyBest scores not accepted
Cambridge C1 Advanced 176 169 Cambridge online test not accepted
Cambridge C2 Proficiency 176 169 Cambridge online test not accepted
TU Delft TOEFL iBT 100 22 MyBest scores not accepted
IELTS (academic) 7.0 6.5 IELTS One Skill Retake accepted; IELTS Online (Academic) test and IELTS Indicator not accepted
Cambridge C1 Advanced 185
Cambridge C2 Proficiency 185
Eindhoven University of Technology TOEFL iBT 90 21 Only accepts scores from 1 test date; MyBest scores not accepted
IELTS (academic) 6.5 6.0 IELTS online test not accepted; Only accepts scores from 1 test date
Cambridge C1 Advanced 176 169
Cambridge C2 Proficiency 180 169

What are the exemptions for proving English language capabilities?

Nationality Exemption:

  • Native English speakers and nationals of Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, UK, or USA are exempt from the English language test requirement.

Education in Specific Countries & IB or EB Diploma:

  • Students who have followed at least their entire Bachelor’s of Master’s degree or the last 3 years of their High School in the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, UK and USA.
  • Students with an International Baccalaureate (IB) or European Baccalaureate (EB) diploma, with English as the sole language of instruction, are exempt.
  • Non-native speakers with an English-taught Master’s degree are exempt, but they may be asked to undergo a test if their English proficiency is deemed insufficient during the selection process.


English as Secondary Education Exam Subject:

  • Exemption is possible based on having English as an exam subject during secondary education.
    • Students with a Dutch VWO diploma are exempt.
    • Holders of an Algemeen Secundair Onderwijs (ASO) diploma from a Flemish Ministry-approved secondary school are exempt.
    • As programme-specific eligibility applies, the application will be reviewed for exemption consideration.

Please note that there might be small differences between English language requirements, so make sure to check the exact requirements at the website of the university of your choice.

How do I legalize my diploma and diploma supplements?

If your university lacks an online verification service for your diploma and diploma supplements, you’ll need to submit certified copies of your diploma and academic transcript from your prior educational institution.

Certified copies are duplicates authenticated with an official stamp, confirming their authenticity. This stamp can be obtained from the educational institution that issued the diploma, an embassy, a solicitor or notary, or a local town or city council.

Is there a late application call available?

Unfortunately, there is no late application call available.

Tuition and Finances:

What are the tuition fees for the MasterPlus Programme?

  • Statutory Tuition Fees for Master’s:

If you are a national of the Netherlands or an EU/EEA country, you will likely pay the ‘statutory tuition fee.’ This fee is set and subsidized by the Dutch government, applying to most EU/EEA students and master’s Programmes. 2024-2025: €2,530 per year

  • Institutional Tuition Fees for Master’s (Bèta):

Non-EU/EEA nationals are required to pay the ‘institutional fee,’ which is higher due to the absence of government funding for these students. 2024-2025: €17.000 per year for University of Twente, €19.300,- per year for Eindhoven University of Technology, € 21.515,- per year for Delft University of Technology.

All EEA or non-EEA students with a non-Dutch higher educational degree must pay a €100 application fee for each master’s Programme application.

Do I qualify for the statutory fee?

To qualify for the statutory fee, you must meet two requirements:

  • Enrolment requirement: Master’s students without a prior master’s degree or doctoral diploma from a Dutch higher education institute.
  • Nationality requirement: You qualify if you are from an EEA country, from Suriname or Switzerland, recognized as a refugee by the Foundation for Refugee Students (UAF), a non-EEA student with Dutch student grant rights or a holder of a long-term resident EC status with a Dutch residence permit.

Are there any additional study costs apart from tuition fees?

Yes, there are additional study costs. These primarily pertain to housing arrangements and living expenses, and the specific information varies for each university.

Costs of living in the Netherlands
Living expenses in the Netherlands for students are estimated to be between €11,000 and €13,000 annually, excluding tuition fees. This comprehensive budget encompasses various elements, including housing (€6,500), food, books and supplies, transportation, optional insurance (€650) covering liability and more, an entry visa/residence permit (€210) for Non-EU/EEA students, a bicycle, a bank account, and other miscellaneous expenses like clothing. It is essential for students to comprehend and plan for these costs to ensure a well-prepared and seamless academic experience.

Read more:
Read more:
Read more:

Is there a relocation contribution available, and how can I obtain it?

Potential applicants of the MasterPlus Programme are eligible for relocation contributions designed to support your move to the Netherlands. Selected candidates will receive a relocation contribution of €2.000,- euro. All three universities have 15 relocation contributions to distribute.

Are there scholarships available for MasterPlus students?

Since the MasterPlus Optics & Photonics is offered by both Delft University of Technology, Eindhoven University of Technology, and University of Twente, we advise you to check all other scholarships available at both universities. There are several scholarships you might be eligible to.


Delft University of Technology scholarships:

Eindhoven University of Technology scholarships:

University of Twente scholarships:

Courses and Study Structure:

Housing and Living Arrangements:

Is housing assistance provided for MasterPlus students? How to find housing?

Students planning to study in the Netherlands should arrange accommodation before arrival due to legal requirements for a valid Dutch address, essential for obtaining a BSN and opening a bank account. Securing housing across the country can be challenging due to shortages. It’s advisable not to travel without pre-arranged housing. Many universities offer assistance in finding accommodation, but it’s crucial to prioritize early arrangements as housing cannot be guaranteed for everyone.

Read more about housing at the websites of the university:



University of Twente

What do I need to know about immigration, opening a bank account, and getting insurance?

When planning your move to the Netherlands for studies, there are key aspects regarding immigration, opening a bank account, and getting insurance that you should be aware of:

Visa and Residence Permit:

  • Most non-EU students staying in the Netherlands for over 90 days require an entry visa (MVV) and/or residence permit (VVR).
  • The university will handle the application process on your behalf, taking about 4 weeks for a residence permit and an additional 2 weeks if a visa is needed.
  • Check if you need these permits based on your nationality via the Nuffic website.
  • Some non-EU/EEA students may need to undergo a tuberculosis test as part of residence permit formalities.

Working While Studying:

  • Students from the European Economic Area (EEA) do not require a work permit and have no restrictions on working hours, following Dutch law.

Opening a Dutch Bank Account:

  • Advisable for managing transactions, including accommodation, insurance, and bills through internet banking.
  • Needed for refunding guarantee fees and living expenses for students from outside Europe.
  • Facilitates easy deposits and withdrawals, including transactions with your home country.

Registering at City Hall:

  • All international students staying in Eindhoven for over four months must register at city hall.


  • Health and liability insurance are mandatory in the Netherlands.
  • Arrange insurance before leaving your home country or immediately upon arrival in the Netherlands to ensure compliance.

Being informed and taking necessary steps in these areas will contribute to a smoother and well-prepared experience during your studies in the Netherlands.


Join us in crafting your exceptional academic journey!